Zimi

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ignorantia Juris Non Excusat

Ignorantia Juris Non Excusat. I'm not trying to sound smart. I recently learned that from this podcast. It means "ignorance of the law does not excuse". You can't get away with breaking the law just by saying you didn't know the law. It's impossible to prove ignorance, and that could lead to anarchy. 

But, what if you really didn't know? For example, how can they ticket us for speeding when the limits aren't posted? Yes, this is personal. It was over a year ago, but I'm still bitter about the ticket I got. I was driving on North Temple between Redwood Road and downtown Salt Lake. On the west end, the speed limit is 45 MPH! It goes down incrementally until it's 30 MPH by the city. You can guess the story now. I turned onto the street, thinking it was 45, and got pulled over going way too fast. 

Because ignorance does not excuse, the instant you turn onto a road you have to know the speed limit, but there are few speed limit signs. Every time I see a police car, I panic. And I cannot find a posted speed limit soon enough.  I drive all over the valley for my job, and that happens too often.  Would it be too much visual clutter to put a sign at each corner? Maybe they could paint the speed limit on the street itself.  

There are some of you who don't get tickets. So, I'm curious. Do you always know the limit? Do you memorize the limits on all the roads you drive on? Or do you always just drive slow?

Sorry for doing a road-rage rant again. So much of my day is in the car. That gives me a lot of opinions.

1 comment:

The Mom said...

Well, if you read the driver's handbook, it says that if there is no speed limit sign posted, then the expected speed limit is 25. I remember reading that from 20 years ago. Scary! And I know it is the same now because The Teenager read the handbook 2 1/2 times for his test.