Zimi

Monday, June 23, 2008

Spelling is Hard

I was replying to a couple posts on my blog and I wasn't sure I had spell check. So I had to concentrate on every word. Later I saw the squiggly red line and relaxed. But until then, I was doubting myself over nearly every word. I can't spell.

My only 'C' grade in elementary school was in spelling. Spelling is hard. My problem is with the vowels, especially the middle sound, for example: comedy, president, difficult, crocodile, gravity, possibly, operate, majesty, celery, officer, accident, paragraph, or manager. There will be regional differences, but where I'm from, in day to day speech, all of those words could have a U as their middle vowel. They all have that 'uh' sound.

Say these words: probably, probibly, probebly, probubly, probobly. Unless you really enunciate, they all sound the same. This is why you can't spell by "sounding it out". Sound out "beautiful". Wouldn't you write, "butiful"? Learning to spell is really an exercise in memorization and memorization was never my thing. Just from sounding it out, how would you know "everything" and "several" each had that 2nd 'e'? A beginning speller wouldn't know. At least, I didn't.

By the way, this entry was typed using a spell checker.

3 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

I understand how spelling can be hard. Especially, as you mentioned, when people talk with accents and don't say things the correct way. Mark always gives me a bad time for saying "fer" instead of "for." But it's the same thing to me.

The Mom said...

LOL The way you spelled "beautiful" as "butiful," I would pronounce it "butt-iful."

I loved spelling. It came so easy to me. I hate history. Boring! Debate? Leave me out of it! Math? Bring it on! I love math! Hence why I became an accountant!

Sorry you hate spelling. But who needs to know how to spell anymore when we have spell checkers?

Spell Check Poem
Also know as…

The Pullet Surprise Can Did Ate
(Read it out loud!)

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight for it two say,
Weather eye and wring oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Eye have run this poem threw it
Your sure reel glad two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

-Sauce unknown

Alex said...

hey this comment has notthing to do with spelling except that probably i have thousan of mistakes in this little comment, bu o well at list we know im not a native english speaker. :) But April thanks for looking at my blog :) a movie would be grat sometime or just to hang out mostly since we are so close :) speaking about movies look at this blog im suporting with all my heart http://peoplesaward.blogspot.com
see you soon:)