Zimi

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Why Blog?

I have been going through my bookmarks and found some blogs from some old friends. (I made a blog link list on the left, if you're interested.) I realized that my blog isn't like most. True, I rarely update it, but that's not my point. It's different because it's not really about me. I guess when I set it up I didn't consider writing about the ins and outs of my life.

So, for a minute I considered writing about how I helped serve at a senior luncheon today. Or how I still haven't hung my wall decorations. Or how I found a streamlined way to clean out my Roomba. But then I realized that I have a journal for that. I'm going to spare you the boring minutia and stick with the opinions. In my opinion, that makes for a more interesting read.

I really do find it interesting to read blogs and catch up on what was going on in people's lives, even people I haven't talked to in a long time. I've been on a couple forums for awhile but only recently started posting a little. I'm dipping my toes in Web 2.0. I have to admit it's tough for me. I liked the selfish anonymity of the old internet. I go online, get the info I need, and get off. But that's the old way and the old me.

The new me includes finally setting up a Facebook account. And I've done the Linkedin thing. I may set up a photo album on Shutterfly when I get around to it. I doubt I'll ever post a video on YouTube. And I draw the line at Twitter. Really? NOONE wants to know that much about day-to-day operations here at Aprill Inc.

So, I'm old fashioned, but working on catching up. What's your attitude about the whole thing? Take the poll on the left and let me know your opinion.

4 comments:

The Mom said...

Whoo Hoo! You posted! I am so proud of you! LOL I have opened your blog every day for the past, oh, 8 months or so, waiting, just waiting. And now you are back!

Thank you!

Aprill said...

Wow, I'm humbled by your faith in me! :) Maybe you shouldn't check it that often. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Um--what is web 2.0? *shaking my head at myself....*

Aprill said...

Sorry! I should have explained better...it's just the new way people are using the internet. It's more interactive. Instead of just websites that you read, it's blogs and forums and My Space and You Tube and all the interactive stuff.