Zimi

Monday, June 30, 2008

Jeans Aren't Comfy

I need to learn to write about opinions soon after they come to me. I jotted this one down as an idea for my blog months ago, but now I don't feel so passionately about it. I still think it's true, but who cares? Anyway, I'll write it up, just so I can get a post.

Jeans are not comfy. They are work pants. They were invented for cowboys and industrial works to have something strong and tough. No amount of bleach can make them as soft as regular cotton. 

Despite the uncomfortable button closures, I'd rather wear my dressy pants than jeans. If I'm going for nothing more than comfort, I might wear sweat pants because of the elastic waistband. But the overall most comfortable thing to wear is a skirt. I don't understand why people hate wearing them so much. They are absolutely non-restricting on your legs, and offer the most freedom of movement. 

One requirement when wearing a skirt, that doesn't matter with pants, is watching how you sit. The longer the skirt, however, the easier that becomes. My favorite thing to wear is my super long floor length cotton dress. It has no slits and I can sit anyway, anyhow. It's not lady-like, but I can do it. I can cross my legs, prop them up on chairs, ...whatever. 

So, wear whatever you want. I don't care. But if you are buying a gift for me, get me a skirt!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you are wrong. I love my jeans! I'd live in jeans if I could. Find the right pair(or 2) and they are the most comfortable thing I've ever worn.

The Mom said...

I love stretch jeans. They are so comfy to wear and they match everything. Sorry, I don't agree. I hate cotton/dress pants! I do like skirts, but not for everyday stuff.

Jil said...

Amen. I've often wondered why people complain about skirts. I have known of comfy jeans, but they are few and far between, usually created by wearing them for ages. Non denim fabric is naturally more comfortable, though the industry has somewhat improved that with all the stone washing and similar processes, as well as putting lycra and other stuff in the fabric. To me, the fact that they've gone to such lengths to change the nature of denim and jeans and make them more similar to other products only supports your point that jeans are not really comfortable by nature, though with enough effort they can be.

Aprill said...

I"m glad you agree! I wear more skirts in the summer than shorts, but it just got too cold for skirts. And yes, the less denim is in the pants, the more comfortable they are, so why wear any denim at all?